Guide for performers
- As the museum staff run the bar on top of their day jobs, we have to finish by 10.00 pm as they deserve a good night's sleep! Doors open at about 7.15 pm and we aim for a 7.30 start. Allowing for an interval this means we have about 2¼ hours for performing.
- Gwerin a Rŵts / Folk and Roots nights are run by one of a rotating team of MC's, some of whom are also performers themselves. We aim to give all performers – locals and visitors – a fair crack of the whip. Provided you arrive before the evening's scheduled start, we will be glad to arrange a slot for you. Because of the strict time limit on our evenings, we might not be able to arrange slots for latecomers, or you might have to make do with a short slot. It is far easier for the MC to arrange the night if all performers arrive in good time.
- We ask you, please, to be courteous regarding timing of your slot. You will be asked for a number of songs and we allow for a timing of five minutes a song. So if you're asked to do three songs, what we really mean is three songs or 15 minutes, whichever is shorter. Please remember that tuning, retuning and your “patter” all take time and if you over-run you are robbing your fellow performers of time because of our time limit. So tune up before your slot if you can do so discreetly and keep your intros short! If you're planning to do long items or your extended “patter” is part of the act, maybe you should do one fewer song.
- It is up to the night's MC how the evening is ordered and it will, of course, depend on the number of performers. If there is time left after all performers have had their turn, how it is filled is at the MC's discretion.
- We hope you enjoy your evening with us and we are looking forward to enjoying your contribution to the night, just as we hope you enjoy the other performers' contributions. Please treat the venue, staff, audience, other performers and (most importantly!) the MC with respect and we will all enjoy our evening out. If you do want to raise any problems, please do so courteously – don't spoil anyone's night! It might be better to do this after the evening, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for coming.
- Publicity. We publicise our events by reporting to the local press and on our Facebook page and we use photographs and short videos of performers. If you would prefer not to be named in these reports or to have photos or videos used in public, please tell us. Easiest to ask the MC.
- Guest nights. Please note that because of our time limit there are no floor spots on guest nights and any support slots will have been arranged in advance, typically calling on regular supporters of the club. If you want to try for a support slot, the best approach is probably to ask at a preceding singers' night, or try emailing the club at email@example.com.